Saturday, December 29, 2012

Angry Birds Macarons

For the Holiday break I had more time to experiment. Since I feel pretty confident making a typical macaron, I wanted to try using a different combination of nut flour. So I ground up some pistachios and mixed 100 grams of pistachio flour and 65grams of almond flour. It baked just the same as the traditional almond flour did. I did add a little green food coloring as the pistachio by itself did not provide much color in themselves. I have been shown a macaron in the shape of a pig from the Angry Birds game and decided to try making one myself. Well, my first try was a traditional fail as I added the ears and the snout right onto the macaron. The trick was to make the macaron then let it sit for about 20 minutes until it developed a skin. After the shell was slightly hardened, I then added the snout and ears. I had to be careful not to break them off after baking. Then I added the eyes (I used drop candy) and painted the mouth and eyebrows with an edible marker. Not so hard to make. I'd like to make bears next :)

No comments:

Post a Comment